• Advertisement
To advertise, place classifieds free ads by category in a forum as a new topic, or in the classified display ads section, or start a classifieds free blog.

Donald Trump-supporting model Kathy Zhu stripped of Miss Michigan title over ‘racist’ tweets

Donald Trump-supporting model Kathy Zhu stripped of Miss Michigan title over ‘racist’ tweets

Postby smix » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Daily Telegraph

URL: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/busin ... 4a5308e8cd
Category: Politics
Published: July 19, 2019

Description: A Donald Trump-supporting model and activist has been stripped of her beauty queen title over “racist” social media posts. Kathy Zhu, 20, a University of Michigan student who has more than 70,000 followers across Instagram and Twitter where she goes by the handle “PoliticalKathy”, is a prominent online conservative and is the vice chair of her campus Republican student group. Zhu, who was born in China and immigrated to the US when she was five, first gained internet fame during the 2016 election campaign. In 2018 she sparked controversy after posting about a “Try a Hijab” event at the University of Central Florida, and later that year announced she was transferring to Michigan.
My message while as Miss Michigan is to advocate for speaking your truth Especially in today’s political climate, we r quick to attack each other based on perceptions & stereotypes It’s time we take a step back & realize that our diversity of thought is what makes America strong
— Kathy Zhu (@PoliticalKathy) July 17, 2019

Earlier this week she was named as a 2019 national finalist by Miss Indiana and Michigan World America, the first phase of the competition before the Miss and Teen World America Preliminary and Finals in Las Vegas in October. In a Twitter post on Thursday, Zhu said she had been stripped of her Miss Michigan title “due to my refusal to try on a hijab in 2018, my tweet about black on black gun violence, and ‘insensitive’ statistical tweets”. One of the earlier tweets in question said, “Did you know the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks? Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others.” Zhu shared a screenshot of an email from Miss World America Michigan state director Laurie DeJack, saying she had “accused me of being racist, Islamophobic, and insensitive”. Ms DeJack wrote in the email, “It has been brought to the attention of Miss World America that your social media accounts contain offensive, insensitive and inappropriate content, and in violation of MWA’s Rules and Conditions, specifically the contestant requirement of ‘being of good character and whose background is not likely to bring into disrepute Miss World America or any person associated with the organisation’.” She added, “Therefore, and effective immediately, MWA does not recognise you as a participant of any sort or in any capacity as it relates to any and all events of MWA. Furthermore, let this communication serve as official notice to remove any mention of yourself as a participant in MWA from all social media platforms (including photographs of you wearing the MWA Michigan sash and/or crown, and any text claiming to be a participant of MWA events).”

kathy-zhu.jpg

In her email reply, Zhu wrote, “Statistics and facts are not always pleasant. It’s disgusting how you would rather lie to the public’s face than be supportive of someone that is trying to make a difference by talking about subjects that no one dares to say.” Referring to the hijab incident, she added that “a Muslim woman tried to forcibly put a hijab on my head without my permission”. “What’s ‘insensitive’ is that women in the Middle East are getting stoned to death for refusing to obey their husband’s orders to wear hijabs,” she wrote. “I tweeted about it on my social media … Almost everyone was supportive of me refusing to be put in that situation. Are the people in MWA implying that they advocate for the punishment of women who refuse to wear a hijab?” Zhu also posted screenshots of text messages from Ms DeJack accusing her of “misleading” the organisation by using her “Chinese first name” when she initially applied. “I have a lot of stuff being thrown at me right now from Nationals office. We are going to need to have a conversation,” Ms DeJack wrote. Attaching a link to Zhu’s 2016 tweet she wrote, “Is this you?” Zhu wrote back, “How is that racist? It’s statistics. Didn’t know statistics were racist.” Conservatives online slammed the move. “This is unbelievable,” BlazeTV host Lauren Chen wrote. “@PoliticalKathy has been stripped of her pageant title for not wanting to wear a hijab and for highlighting crime rates in some black communities. The fact that these pageant people find her views offensive speaks more to their own bigotry than anything else.” Podcaster John Hawkins said, “A conservative woman isn’t even allowed to enter a beauty pageant anymore without holding the right politically correct opinions. Whatever happened the land of the free and the home of the brave?” Music video director Robby Starbuck added, “Apparently you can’t even participate in a @MissWorldLtd pageant if you’re *gasp* openly Republican. What a sorry bunch of bigots. @PoliticalKathy you’re still Miss Michigan to anyone with a functioning frontal lobe in their brain.” Miss World America has been contacted for comment.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)

Miss World America Strips Trump Supporter Of Title For Refusing To Wear Hijab, ‘Insensitive’ Posts

Postby smix » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Miss World America Strips Trump Supporter Of Title For Refusing To Wear Hijab, ‘Insensitive’ Posts
Daily Wire

URL: https://www.dailywire.com/news/49673/mi ... stigiacomo
Category: Politics
Published: July 19, 2019

Description: Twenty-year-old conservative activist and prominent Trump supporter Kathy Zhu was reportedly stripped of her Miss Michigan crown from the Miss World America Organization over past “insensitive” social media posts and her refusal to try on a hijab at a college event in 2018. Zhu is a Chinese immigrant who moved to the United States at age five; she became popular in conservative circles for both her support for Donald Trump during the 2016 election and for fighting off students attempting to get her expelled from the University of Central Florida for refusing to try on a hijab — an event that allegedly helped get the conservative stripped of her beauty pageant accomplishments. According to Newsweek, Zhu was named as an Indiana and Michigan 2019 national finalist earlier this week in a bid to move on to the Miss Teen World America preliminary and finals set for October. However, the student was soon informed by the organization via email that she would have to turn in her sash and crown and disassociate with the group over past “offensive, insensitive, and inappropriate” social media posts. “Miss World America's State/National/Chief Director accused me of being racist, Islamaphobic, and insensitive,” Zhu wrote in a post via Twitter, captioning screenshots of an email exchange between her and Miss World America. “They stripped me of my Miss Michigan title due to my refusal to try on a hijab in 2018, my tweet about black on black gun violence, and ‘insensitive’ statistical tweets.” Zhu also posted screenshots of text message exchanges between her and Miss World America Michigan State Director Laurie DeJack immediately preceding her dismissal from the organization. DeJack singled out a tweet from Zhu concerning black-on-black crime. “Did you know the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks? Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others,” the tweet reads. Responding to DeJack, Zhu wrote via text, “How is that racist? It’s statistics. Didn’t know statistics were racist.” DeJack then suggested the tweet was posted by Zhu’s boyfriend. “I will stop by your house to give you back the crown/sash,” answered Zhu. “This is ridiculous and to work with someone that thinks statistics is racist is the last thing I want to do. ... You’re supposed to stand up for me, not guilt trip me and then make snarky remarks about my boyfriend.” “I’m completely hurt over this but I hope you find a better candidate that will advocate for brainless ideals like ‘world peace,’” she added. “It’s not a statistic,” DeJack said of the tweet in question. “It’s a comment with no statistics to back it up.” “Maybe you should read [an] educational journal on the statistics of blacks killing other blacks,” Zhu wrote. “I go to school for this.” Zhu also responded via email to the organization over her ouster, pushing back on Miss World America’s apparent opposition to the conservative’s refusal to wear a hijab. “[W]hat is ‘insensitive’ is that women in the Middle East are getting STONED TO DEATH for refusing to obey their husband’s orders to wear hijabs,” she wrote. “A Muslim woman tried to FORCIBLY put a hijab on my head without my permission. I tweeted about it on my social media, and it got the attention of the media. Almost everyone was supportive of me refusing to be put in that situation.” On Friday morning, Zhu thanked her supporters and announced that she will not be taking legal action against the organization because they have “suffered enough negative publicity.” “I woke up this morning with an overwhelming amount of support; I can't thank you all enough. I am glad this story came to light because this is more than just some beauty pageant, this is about the prejudice views against people with ‘different opinions,’” she said. “I will not be taking any legal action against the organization, I think they have suffered enough negative publicity — especially because they wanted to decrown me due to not wanting bad publicity in the first place.” “When they go low, we go high,” she added.
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)