• Advertisement
To advertise, place classifieds free ads by category in a forum as a new topic, or in the classified display ads section, or start a classifieds free blog.

Could a New Ultraviolet Technology Fight the Spread of Coronavirus?

Postby smix » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Columbia News

URL: https://news.columbia.edu/ultraviolet-t ... 9-UV-light
Category: Science
Published: April 21, 2020

Description: Columbia researcher David Brenner believes far-UVC light—safe for humans, but lethal for viruses—could be a ‘game changer.’
A technique that zaps airborne viruses with a narrow-wavelength band of UV light shows promise for curtailing the person-to-person spread of COVID-19 in indoor public places. The technology, developed by Columbia University’s Center for Radiological Research, uses lamps that emit continuous, low doses of a particular wavelength of ultraviolet light, known as far-UVC, which can kill viruses and bacteria without harming human skin, eyes and other tissues, as is the problem with conventional UV light. “Far-UVC light has the potential to be a ‘game changer,’” said David Brenner, professor of radiation biophysics and director of the center. “It can be safely used in occupied public spaces, and it kills pathogens in the air before we can breathe them in.” The research team’s experiments have shown far-UVC effective in eradicating two types of airborne seasonal coronaviruses (the ones that cause coughs and colds). The researchers are now testing the light against the SARS-CoV-2 virus in collaboration with Thomas Briese and W. Ian Lipkin of the Center for Infection and Immunity in a biosafety laboratory on Columbia's medical center campus, with encouraging results, Brenner said. The team previously found the method effective in inactivating the airborne H1N1 influenza virus, as well as drug-resistant bacteria. And multiple, long-term studies on animals and humans have confirmed that exposure to far-UVC does not cause damage to the skin or eyes. If widely used in occupied public places, far-UVC technology has the potential to provide a powerful check on future epidemics and pandemics, Brenner said. He added that even when researchers develop a vaccine against the virus that causes COVID, it will not protect against the next novel virus. “Our system is a low-cost, safe solution to eradicating airborne viruses minutes after they've been breathed, coughed or sneezed into the air,” Brenner said. “Not only does it have the potential to prevent the global spread of the virus that causes COVID-19, but also future novel viruses, as well as more familiar viruses like influenza and measles.” Brenner envisions the use of safe overhead far-UVC lamps in a wide range of indoor public spaces. The technology, which can be easily retrofitted into existing light fixtures, he said, could be deployed in hospitals and doctors’ offices as well as schools, shelters, airports, airplanes and other transportation hubs. Scientists have known for decades that germicidal UV light (wavelength around 254 nm) has the capacity to kill viruses and bacteria. Hospitals and laboratories often use germicidal UV light to sterilize unoccupied rooms, as well as other equipment. But conventional germicidal UV light cannot be used in the presence of people as it can causes health problems to the skin and eyes. In contrast, far-UVC light, which has a very short wavelength (in the range from about 205 to 230 nm), cannot reach or damage living human cells. But these wavelengths can still penetrate and kill very small viruses and bacteria floating in the air or on surfaces. Far-UVC lamps are now in production by several companies, although ramping up to large-scale production, as well as approval by the Food and Drug Administration and Environmental Protection Agency, will take several months. At between $500 and $1000 per lamp, the lamps are relatively inexpensive, and once they are mass produced the prices would likely fall, Brenner said. “Far-UVC takes a fundamentally different tactic in the war against COVID-19,” Brenner said. “Most approaches focus on fighting the virus once it has gotten into the body. Far-UVC is one of the very few approaches that has the potential to prevent the spread of viruses before they enter the body.”
smix

Blog: View Blog (0)

Firm tests UV light treatment that Trump was mocked for mentioning

Postby smix » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Firm tests UV light treatment that Trump was mocked for mentioning
Washington Times

URL: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ng-uv-lig/
Category: Politics
Published: April 26, 2020

Description: President Trump has been mocked relentlessly for suggesting that ultraviolet light could be brought “inside the body” to kill the coronavirus, but there is ongoing research to do just that. For example, the pharmaceutical firm Aytu BioScience announced on April 20, four days before the Trump remarks, that it has signed an exclusive licensing deal with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. The center has developed and is testing a UV-A “Healight” designed to be inserted via a catheter inside the trachea to kill pathogens, including the coronavirus.

healight.jpg

Ultraviolet, or UV, light is commonly used by physicians to treat skin diseases. Cedars-Sinai says UV-A phototherapy potentially could be employed in internal organs. Aytu BioScience said: “The Healight technology employs proprietary methods of administering intermittent ultraviolet (UV) A light via a novel endotracheal medical device. Pre-clinical findings indicate the technology’s significant impact on eradicating a wide range of viruses and bacteria, inclusive of coronavirus. The data have been the basis of discussions with the FDA for a near-term path to enable human use for the potential treatment of coronavirus in intubated patients in the intensive care unit (ICU).” At Thursday’s White House pandemic task force briefing, Mr. Trump talked of possible future therapies. On the dais, William Bryan, acting director of the Department of Homeland Security’s science and technology sector, briefed reporters on how UV light can kill surface viruses. Mr. Byran also spoke of experiments with bleach and isopropyl alcohol eliminating viruses in expelled saliva and respiratory fluids. This prompted Mr. Trump to say, “I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or, or almost a cleaning?”

And then he turned to ultraviolet light. “Question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting,” he said. “So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light. And I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re gonna test that, too.” The president was roundly mocked for both suggestions, more so for disinfectant than for UV light. The Drudge Report said at the top of its home page: “Trump: Inject Disinfectants into Body? Test UV Light Inside Patients.” Inserting UV light is exactly what Cedars-Sinai is investigating and is talking to the Food and Drug Administration about securing emergency approval for Healight. The Aytu BioScience’s statement quoted Dr. Mark Pimentel, who is leading the project: “Our team has shown that administering a specific spectrum of UV-A light can eradicate viruses in infected human cells (including coronavirus) and bacteria in the area while preserving healthy cells.” Dr. Ali Rezaie, one of the Healight inventors, said: “Our lab at Cedars-Sinai has extensively studied the effects of this unique technology on bacteria and viruses. Based on our findings we believe this therapeutic approach has the potential to significantly impact the high morbidity and mortality of coronavirus-infected patients and patients infected with other respiratory pathogens. We are looking forward to partnering with Aytu BioScience to move this technology forward for the benefit of patients all over the world.” Aytu Bioscience web page states, “The Healight is a catheter embedded with small LED lights that emit UVA light in a specific way.” The Cedars-Sinai Healight team published an article last year in the United European Gastroenterology Journal, titled “Internally Applied Ultraviolet Light as a Novel Approach for Effective and Safe Anti-Microbial Treatment.” “These findings suggest that UVA therapy can potentially provide a safe and effective novel approach to antimicrobial treatment via phototherapy on internal organs,” Aytu BioScience says on its website. Unfiltered UV light is dangerous to humans. But filtering out the harmful UV-C and leaving just UV-A, makes it safe, the company says.

youtube-dictator.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF9XRXtqRHg

A video animation shows a catheter being inserted inside the trachea, stopping at the bronchial tubes and the light being administered. Infection is one of the most common and serious side effects for intensive care patients on tracheal intubation to breath.
smix

Aytu BioScience Signs Exclusive Global License with Cedars-Sinai for Potential Coronavirus Treatment

Postby smix » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:56 pm

Aytu BioScience Signs Exclusive Global License with Cedars-Sinai for Potential Coronavirus Treatment
AP

URL: https://apnews.com/b44f4531071e6204023f7b8e16f59d4b
Category: Business
Published: April 20, 2020

Description: Cedars-Sinai-Developed ‘Healight’ Medical Device Platform Technology Being Studied as a Potential First-in-Class COVID-19 Treatment

aytu-nasdaq.jpg

ENGLEWOOD, CO / ACCESSWIRE / April 20, 2020 / Aytu BioScience, Inc. (NASDAQ:AYTU) (the “Company”), a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on commercializing novel products that address significant patient needs announced today that it has signed an exclusive worldwide license from Cedars-Sinai to develop and commercialize the Healight Platform Technology (“Healight”). This medical device technology platform, discovered and developed by scientists at Cedars-Sinai, is being studied as a potential first-in-class treatment for coronavirus and other respiratory infections. Led by Mark Pimentel, MD, the research team of the Medically Associated Science and Technology (MAST) Program at Cedars-Sinai has been developing the patent-pending Healight platform since 2016 and has produced a growing body of scientific evidence demonstrating pre-clinical safety and effectiveness of the technology as an antiviral and antibacterial treatment. The Healight technology employs proprietary methods of administering intermittent ultraviolet (UV) A light via a novel endotracheal medical device. Pre-clinical findings indicate the technology’s significant impact on eradicating a wide range of viruses and bacteria, inclusive of coronavirus. The data have been the basis of discussions with the FDA for a near-term path to enable human use for the potential treatment of coronavirus in intubated patients in the intensive care unit (ICU). Beyond the initial pursuit of a coronavirus ICU indication, additional data suggest broader clinical applications for the technology across a range of viral and bacterial pathogens. This includes bacteria implicated in ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP). “Our team has shown that administering a specific spectrum of UV-A light can eradicate viruses in infected human cells (including coronavirus) and bacteria in the area while preserving healthy cells,” stated Dr. Pimentel of Cedars-Sinai. Ali Rezaie, MD, one of the inventors of this technology states, “Our lab at Cedars-Sinai has extensively studied the effects of this unique technology on bacteria and viruses. Based on our findings we believe this therapeutic approach has the potential to significantly impact the high morbidity and mortality of coronavirus-infected patients and patients infected with other respiratory pathogens. We are looking forward to partnering with Aytu BioScience to move this technology forward for the benefit of patients all over the world.” The company believes the Healight platform technology has the potential to positively impact outcomes for critically ill patients infected with coronavirus and severe respiratory infections. The company licensed exclusive worldwide rights to the technology from Cedars-Sinai for all endotracheal and nasopharyngeal indications. Patents have been filed by Cedars-Sinai Department of Technology Transfer, and Aytu BioScience will manage all aspects of intellectual property prosecution and filing globally. Aytu BioScience expects to partner the product outside the U.S. “We are honored to be partnering with Cedars-Sinai as we believe the Healight therapeutic platform has the potential to help many patients during this coronavirus pandemic and beyond,” said Josh Disbrow, Chairman and CEO of Aytu BioScience. The Company is engaging with the research team at Cedars-Sinai and the FDA to determine an expedited regulatory process to potentially enable near-term use of the technology initially as a coronavirus intervention for critically ill intubated patients.

bill-gates-nonono.jpg

Disbrow continued, “This first-in-class technology has the potential to be a game changer for clinicians treating patients infected with coronavirus and other respiratory conditions, and our team is working tirelessly alongside the Cedars-Sinai team to determine the safety and effectiveness of this device in humans.”
smix

Video Illustrates UV Catheter Treatment

Postby smix » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Video Illustrates UV Catheter Treatment
The Rush Limbaugh Show

URL: https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020 ... d-patient/
Category: Politics
Published: April 24, 2020

Description: RUSH: No, it is not some newfangled, weirdo thing that ultraviolet light can do damage to viruses and bacteria. How many people in the Drive-By Media do you think have an ultraviolet light sanitizer? How many of you do? They’re selling like hotcakes out there. “Disinfect your iPhone! Put it in this little container here.” What do you think is zapping it? Ultraviolet light is being used to sanitize this stuff: Baby supplies, keys, furniture, masks. Ultraviolet light is widely known. So this is what Trump was talking about when asking if there is a way that ultraviolet light can be used to zap the virus or bacteria — and there is.
JOHNNY DONOVAN: And now, from sunny South Florida, it’s Open Line Friday!
RUSH: I’ll tell you what. Dr. Birx apparently was unfamiliar with this latest application of ultraviolet light in a catheter inserted in the breathing tube of somebody who is intubated, but Trump never told anybody to drink Lysol or inject their lungs with Drano! It’s just absurd. Anyway, greetings, and welcome back.

APP-042420-WH-BRief-COVID-5.jpg

It’s Open Line Friday, Rush Limbaugh, doing what I was born to do, having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have. The phone number if you want to join the program, 800-282-2882. Here you go. Homeland Security official: “I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes. “Isopropyl alcohol,” that’s rubbing alcohol, for those of you in Rio Linda, “will kill the virus in 30 seconds,” and that’s with no manipulation, no rubbing. It just does it. “New research from the Department of Homeland Security shows that sunlight and humidity killed the coronavirus quickly.” This announcement was made yesterday at the coronavirus task force briefing by William Bryan, who is the acting undersecretary for science and technology at Homeland Security. He said, “Increasing the temperature and the humidity of potentially contaminated indoor spaces appears to reduce the stability of the virus.” He said that the Department of Homeland Security’s testing “showed that there was a very significant difference when the coronavirus is exposed to ultraviolet rays.” He said this yesterday, and that “extra care may be warranted for dry environments that do not have exposure to solar light.” So they’re testing disinfectants including bleach, including rubbing alcohol on the coronavirus in saliva and respiratory fluids. Dr. Bryan said, “I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes. Isopropyl alcohol will kill the virus in 30 seconds,” and again, that’s with no manipulation and no rubbing. “We’ve identified,” he said, “that heat and humidity is a weakness in that chain. We’ve identified that sunlight, solar light, UV rays is a weakness in the chain.” He said it yesterday. So all I did was find an example of where UV light is being used inside the body by a company that makes a product called Healight. You know what? I’m gonna send the link. It’s a YouTube video. It’s kind of a frustrating thing. You know, I hate videos ’cause I can learn much faster by reading something. This video is doubly frustrating, ’cause it’s text. It’s a minute and 40 seconds, and 95% of it’s text, and then the last 5% of it is a graphic of how this device is used in a tube, in a breathing tube of an intubated patient. So here. You know, I’m gonna do this right now. I’m gonna do it in the middle of the programming segment. I’m gonna pick up my trusty iPhone here and I’m going to send this thing up to Koko. Ah, wait. I got to do it here over the computer. Hang on folks. You want able to see this video. I’m gonna get this done real quick here.

ayu-bioscience-account-suspended.png

Here we go. (typing) Okay, George. Keep your email there, Koko, and you’ll see have it up for you at RushLimbaugh.com in mere moments. You click on it. It’s a minute and 40 seconds, and the name of the company is at the end of video. It’s developed at Cedars-Sinai. But the point is all this was announced yesterday, that UV light does a number on viruses and bacteria, including the coronavirus, and all Trump did was inquire about the application of this inside the body. He was talking about light. Grab it again. Sound bite 16. Here we go in three… (I’m slowing down here, allowing the broadcast engineer to find it) two … one.
THE PRESIDENT: So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting.
RUSH: All right. Stop tape. He’s asking the same question about the disinfectant: “Is there a way to apply it or the science behind it inside the body? It was a natural curious thing for somebody to ask. It did not represent doofus status. It did not represent idiocy or stupidity. But this is how they react to Trump on virtually everything he says.

healight-inserted.jpg

We have to come in here and clean up their freaking messes every day. The Drive-By Media just leaves residue of lies and disinformation, character assassination, slander. They leave it all over the countryside. They leave it all over the roadside. We gotta come in here and clean it up the best we can each and every day. Wanting to know if there’s a way to use the UV light magic inside the body is a, to me, very intelligent IQ question. And the same thing with is there a way to do what disinfectants do, as you’re talking about isopropyl and all that, wipes it out 30 seconds. Is there a way to apply how that happens inside the body? There’s nobody talking about injecting anybody with the stuff! How many of you have UV light systems in your air conditioners? You have… All of us have more ultraviolet light emitters in our lives than you would even realize. It’s completely safe. You can’t see it. Have you ever tried…? One of the latest gotta-have gadgets is one of these little sanitizers for your phone, your cell phone — and it’s just a case. And you open the top of the case, put the phone in there, and you turn the case on. You’re supposed to leave it alone for maximum 30 minutes. How many of you have done this and tried to pop the top to see what’s happening. You can’t see it, by the way. It will shut down the minute you open the case anyway.
smix

Device would potentially neutralize coronavirus using UV light

Postby smix » Fri May 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Device would potentially neutralize coronavirus using UV light
Fox News

URL: https://www.foxnews.com/health/oracle-l ... live-virus
Category: healthNews
Published: May 14, 2020

Description: A patent-pending system worn under face masks to sanitize the air and neutralize live viruses such as COVID-19 through ultraviolet light exposure may soon be available from a company called Oracle Lighting. The new “Antimicrobial Irradiation Respirator,” or AIR device, is said to protect against the 5 percent of particulate that manages to get past N95 masks, according to a company statement.

antimicrobial-irradiation-respirator.jpg

“Consumers need better assurance to be confident that they will not be exposed [to COVID-19],” said Justin Hartenstein, Oracle Lighting director of product development, in the company statement. “The AIR device will neutralize that remaining five percent while sanitizing the contaminated mask at the same time. Studies have shown that respiratory pathogens on the outer surface of cloth masks can actually result in self-contamination, which is exactly what they are intended to prevent. Because of this, we see the unique UV irritation benefits of the AIR device as the best sanitization scenario for mitigating exposure to COVID-19 and other viruses.” According to Oracle Lighting, existing personal air filtration masks are designed to prevent the inhalation of viruses by trapping the particles from the incoming air in the cloth material worn on the face. However, they are not designed to disinfect or sanitize the particles. Masks can then become saturated with live viruses, pathogens, bacterium or other microorganisms attached to the fabric surfaces. Health officials, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have advised laundering face masks. In fact, the CDC specifically wrote, “a washing machine should suffice in properly washing a cloth face covering.” Oracle Lighting, however, says “most consumer-grade laundry detergent does not contain disinfectant and, in fact, studies show that pathogens can actually be spread in the wash and contaminate other laundry in the load.” “The AIR device is composed of a small cover made of an anti-microbial polymer which is worn on the face and attached with straps similar to a traditional face mask,” Hartenstein said. “The user wears a traditional face mask (cloth mask, surgical mask, N95, etc.) over the device. A small rechargeable battery pack powers the device and can be manually turned on and off by the user. In addition to the anti-germicidal LEDs, the device also contains UV-A LEDs which provide a wider light spectrum and visible light. The visible UV-A LED functions as an indicator that the device is on and working but provides minimal anti-microbial benefits.” Wavelengths between 200 to 300 nanometers provide the most effective germicidal function, Oracle Lighting wrote, reasoning the wavelength of UV-C irradiation uses photons to inactivate the virus, preventing the cell from replicating and infecting the body if inhaled. “UV-C light has been used in many applications such as the purification of drinking water for decades,” Hartenstein said. “While UV-C is part of the normal spectrum of sunlight, it is invisible and can cause sunburn with direct skin exposure. This was taken into account when developing the AIR and so the UV light is directed into the mask, away from the user, to prevent any direct skin exposure.” The company expects the device to be available by June 2020.
smix